TITLE: MASTER OF ARTS IN ENVIRONMENTAL LAW
COURSE DURATION: Two (2) years
SCHEDULE OF INTAKE : (Once a year) SEPTEMBER
The philosophy of this programme is that infusion of a multidisciplinary approach to environmental law inspires learners to be innovative in designing legal rules that address environmental challenges facing the globe.
Environmental law plays a pivotal role in protecting human and natural environments, which are facing increased danger from degradation, pollution and extinction. Since the 1970s, there has been a growing body of rules and regulations at both national and international levels, designed to meet this growing challenge. This has culminated with adoption of the Sustainable Development Goals in 2015, which highlight the central role of environmental sustainability in the development process. There is, therefore, need for exemplary environmental scholars with adept, innovative, and analytical research skills who will promote the development of sound environmental laws that meet the needs of both current and future generations.
However, there is insufficient expertise to meet this need, especially in the African continent. The programme is intended to fill a training gap in the region. It responds to the situation outlined in the philosophy of this course by providing students with an opportunity to delve into the theoretical and practical depths of Environmental Law. The course also gives students an opportunity to acquire necessary competencies and to advance their research and practical skills. It is designed to train to high international standards, in order to equip students to practice in the global market.
At the end of this programme, the learner should be able to:
- Appraise various multidisciplinary approaches, concepts, underlying principles and fundamental methods in environmental law and practice.
- Assess environmental laws from diverse national, regional and international contexts.
- Synthesize knowledge from various sources to address needs for the design, formulation and implementation of environmental laws for local, national and global arena.
- Evaluate knowledge for diagnosing and solving environmental problems.
- Generate reliable and valid conclusions by conducting doctrinal and empirical research in Environmental Law.
- Critique approaches to the utilization and management of the environment and natural resources.
- Develop competencies in environmental law making and practice.
MODE OF DELIVERY
Face to Face Mode
Lectures, lecture discussions, class presentations, seminars, tutorials, case studies, fieldwork, role plays, simulations, students–teacher consultation, supervised independent studies, group projects, guest speakers.
Open, Distance Learning and e-learning Mode
Application of written self-instruction study modules, mediated technical learning materials, for example, audiovisual, video conferencing and e-learning platforms and online learning that utilizes video-conferencing, e-learning portals and other technological innovations
Application of a combination of both face-to-face and online delivery of courses, integrating both formal and informal modes of delivery.
How to Apply: Click Here to Apply
Contacts of Support persons
The goal of this programme is to provide the learner with broad knowledge, competencies, and attitudes that enhance leadership in environmental policy practice and advancement of scholarship.
The Programme shall last for a minimum of Four semesters (Two Academic years). The first academic year will be dedicated to course work. Students will take Ten units (Seven core units and Three electives).
The second academic year will be dedicated to proposal development, research, thesis writing and examination. Students opting for the Research Project Course will have a third semester in the second year of the study and will take 4 extra units from the list of electives.
Minimum Admission Requirements
The following shall be eligible for admission:
- Holders of a Bachelor’s degree, at least Upper Second Class Honours, or equivalent in law, environment, physical, biological or natural resource management and/or social science related fields.
- Holders of Bachelor’s degree, at least Lower Second Class, or equivalent in the areas specified in (a) above, with additional relevant training or evidence of research work or work experience.
- Holders of a Postgraduate Diploma in the areas specified in (a) above provided that the applicant satisfies the minimum requirements for admission to a Bachelor’s degree qualification level.
Credit Transfer and Exemptions
- A student may be allowed credit transfer for up to one third of the course units provided that such courses were completed in institutions recognized by the Senate, subject to the following conditions:
- Having passed in similar course units at Master’s or equivalent level; and
- Payment of prescribed non-refundable fees.
- A student shall be allowed exemptions from units of which credit transfers have been approved.
- Request for credit transfer and exemption must be made in writing, on admission and addressed, through the Dean of Faculty, to the Academic Registrar, and must be accompanied with officially certified supporting documents including the institution’s syllabuses for the relevant courses and official transcripts indicating the courses that may be equivalent.
- No student shall be exempted from the core courses as described in this syllabus, even if they had undertaken a similar course previously in another institution.
- Policy Advisor
- Attorney–Water Quality and Use
- Climate Change
- International Environmental Law
- Law firms
- Organizations as legal secretaries interns
Fees and Funding
|MASTER OF ARTS IN ENVIRONMENTAL LAW - Z51|
|Z51-18 units ( 10 units + Thesis)|
|EXAMINATION (PER UNIT @1000)||1,000|
|MEDICAL FEE (PER YEAR)||6,500|
|ICT SERVICES - (PER YEAR)||7,000|
|CAUTION - (ONCE)||5,000|
|LIBRARY (PER YEAR)||5,000|
|ACTIVITY-( PER YEAR)||2,000|
|REGISTRATION (PER SEMESTER@2250)||2,250|
|ID CARD ( PER YEAR)||1,000|
|STUDENT ORGANISATION(PER YEAR)||1,000|
|Year 1-semester 1||Year 1-semester 2||Year 2|
|5 units||5 units||Thesis-Equiv to 8 units|
|EXAMINATION (PER UNIT @1000)||5,000||5,000||8,000|
|MEDICAL FEE (PER YEAR)||6,500||0||6,500|
|ICT SERVICES - (PER YEAR)||7,000||0||7,000|
|CAUTION - (ONCE)||5,000||0|
|LIBRARY (PER YEAR)||5,000||0||5,000|
|ACTIVITY-( PER YEAR)||2,000||0||2,000|
|REGISTRATION (PER SEMESTER@2250)||2,250||2,250||4,500|
|ID CARD ( PER YEAR)||1,000||0||1,000|
|STUDENT ORGANISATION(PER YEAR)||1,000||0||1,000|